Resources, What's Up?
CYBERBULLYING: What We Know & Can Do Today
December 10, 2016 - Resources, What's Up?
Yesterday dozens of teens and young adults in our community were victims to a very public, mean-spirited cyberbullying attack that hit Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat platforms.
Please know we take this attack seriously. We’re sorry for the harm caused to those targeted and are working to bring this situation to a close as quickly as possible.
– Taos Municipal Schools, Taos Police Department and New Mexico State Police are actively investigating to identify the person and/or persons responsible for the attack. The cyber attacker(s) potentially face criminal charges as a result of the violations committed.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
– To help stop the violations, assist authorities in identifying who is responsible. If you have any info to share or continued online posts to report, please contact Officer Henry Sanchez, Taos Police Department at (575) 613.6570 or Luckie Daniels, Taos Municipal Schools at (575) 224.4480.
WHAT WE CAN DO NOW
– Resist re-sharing content [and talking] about the attack. No denying the content shared was hurtful. But authorities need to determine who is responsible for putting it online, and re-sharing original posts makes following the digital trail challenging. Also, the person/persons involved intended to cause those attacked pain and embarrassment. Don’t give him/her the satisfaction – cut the effort short!
– Get help if you need it. What’s happened is upsetting. Talking about this experience with trusted family and friends can help you get through it. We also have local resources (see below) and Crisis Text Line at #START 741741 available to support you. You are not alone. Let your circle and community help.
– Crisis Text Line – Text “START” 741741
– DreamTree Project (575) 758-9595
– Golden Willow Retreat (575) 776-2024
– Valle del Sol (575) 751-7037
– Non-Violence Works (575) 758-4297
– Tri-County Community Services (575) 758-5857
– 24/7 Emergency (575) 758-1125
– Youth Hotline (877) 968-8454
– National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255
– Sky Counseling Center (505) 473-6191
– Ted Wiard (505) 690-0126
– Jill Cline (575) 770-1327
– Marsha Carlson (650) 933-8367
– Risa Lehrer (575) 758-3913
As we learn more, we’ll share more. Just know this, we are here for you, however and whenever you need it.
See something. Say something. Do something.
Luckie and Justis